Hi! My name is Britton. I'm a river rat living in Korea. It's a good gig with a lot of perks. Wanna read about them?

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Japanese Ramen in Korea


Being the traveler that I am, I have tried many varieties of food. I also have traveled the lands of Japan and Korea and thus know the importance of one main Asian staple: ramen.
However there is one thing very different about real Japanese ramen that puts it on a whole other level: the noodles used are real noodles.

These are not the packaged kind that you find so much of in America, which is high in sodium and calories. Even still, it is a staple that many Asians love and in Korea it is a very popular favorite. After exploring many parts of Japan, I grew accustomed to the awesomeness of Japanese ramen and its many different advantages. It could function as a midday snack, a high-calorie lunch and even a late night drunken snack. (The best one).

So when I chose to come to Korea, I was excited to be somewhere that would have ramen in abundance. Much to my disappointment it was the packaged kind. Throughout the months I slowly became to it and forgot about the Japanese style. Then on a fateful trip back to Japan with my girlfriend, I rediscovered the greatness of Japanese ramen (and she discovered it). We were then
disappointed when we came back to Korea and had to suffice with packaged ramen.

Then just this past week, Heather (my girlfriend) was looking online at some blogs from people that are here in Korea or have lived here. Through one blog she found a place in my neighborhood (Bong Seon Dong) that served Japanese style
ramen! We discussed it and that same night we talked to a good Korean friend of ours about it and found out that it was closer to my apartment than originally thought and it is called "Izakaya".


This place was such a great find! It was a real difference from the normal Korean venue of restaurants. The man there, JJ speaks English and is used to a foreigner crowd. He welcomes you with a smile and helpful information about the food. This is definitely a place that we will go back to and one that I really recommend to anyone reading this and is in Gwangju. It is a great place, reasonably priced and friendly.

To get there, you can take the 59 away from downtown to its last stop (near EMart in Bong Seon Dong). Across the street should be a large complex with a Gran Piatto. Take a left at the light past the Gran Piatto and walk down this street (should take about 10 minutes). The Izakaya will be on your left at the end of this street, in a round building next a cell phone store. There is a Tour Le Jours across the street from it. The restaurant is called Ramen Mandang (라맨 만땅)

Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment