Hi! My name is Britton. I'm a river rat living in Korea. It's a good gig with a lot of perks. Wanna read about them?

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Life changing event #1


A new series spawned to replicate the series of things that are awesome about Korea, but now applied to river life.

Life on the river is a life of bliss and beauty. The river itself is something of wonder as it is 1/4 of the worlds fresh water, constantly flowing. But the things that really get me about the river is all of the life that it supports. The fish, insects and most importantly the birds.

There is a whole plethora of fowl that use the river as their home and source of food.

The first event that I'm going to blog about are the loons.
Loons are probably one of the more majestic birds that dwell on the river. They are huge, weighing up to or slightly more than 10lbs. The loon is a bird with a song that everyone knows and loves to hear.

On my kayak paddles around the river I have come to see many loons. They are a lot more tame than they used to be, so now I can get some great shots of them. Though recently, while paddling around I have seen events with the loons that many don't get to see. Either because they are too busy driving around on their jet-skies or "penis boats" so they don't stop to see what the river really is.

While kayaking around I have seen a mother loon on her nest, blended right in with the rocks that I didn't even notice she was there. It wasn't until I unknowingly got uncomfortably close that she shot off her nest and feigned injured to draw my attention away. This was such an awe to see that I sat jaw-dropped for a good 2 minutes.

Then the other night, I was out enjoying the nice evening and up I came upon two more Loons. But these guys were being very distant and making a point to keep that distance. I got as close as I could, and noticed that momma loon had two little babies on her back. This is the common loon mothering, she will carry them on her back and daddy will guard/hunt. It's a real relationship, raw and clean, right in front of you.

Can you slow down your normal life so that you can see what's all around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment