Hi! My name is Britton. I'm a river rat living in Korea. It's a good gig with a lot of perks. Wanna read about them?

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Life changing event #3


So, a few days ago my cousins and I went kayaking around an island called Grenadier, it's a Canadian island with a golf course and is the summer home of the owner of Zippo lighters. On that eventful day, my cousins and I decided to go around the island. We started early and made our way over glassy water. It was pristine and just plain gorgeous.

Later in the day we found ourselves in a bay for our lunch break. It was much needed for the rest of the trip was insanely windy. At this bay we noticed a strange looking buoy, it turned out to be marking a sunken ship. After exploring it while in the kayak I decided that it would be cool to return to with a boat that could better fight the wind; so a few days later, my parents, brother and sister in law and their two boys all made the venture down to find the sight again.

We did and thought that it was the coolest thing, looking over the side of the boat to see what we could of this mysterious ship. We left the sight, saying "we are definitely coming back here with our snorkels." Well, like always, the intentions are there but things start happening and the time to do it runs away.

But, not today. My dad and I were thinking of what to do, the projects around the house are done and it was too beautiful of a day to sit around. So, at my mom's advice we made the venture back to the sunken ship with our snorkels. It was awesome!! It was extremely mysterious and creepy. Swimming over the ruins, we (my dad and I) realized that it wasn't just a small sailboat that sunk but a real, actual wooden ship. What this ship was before it crashed, we can't figure out, but it has all the tell tale signs; wooden decks, ribbing, and pointed bow and stern. But the thing that baffles us is the giant metal tank that seems to be at the bow of the ship. It's so big that part of it protrudes up and is close to the surface of the water, very dangerous. There were parts that you could stand on, ribs that were sticking upward, the tank, and other random sections of decking.

It really was the coolest thing. Life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment